PPAC - From White Rock to Uganda


Broken bones and high spirits

[Note: There are some personal messages at the end of this post, so read all the way to the bottom!]

It’s 11.40pm. We’ve all settled down in our tents—a little village erected in the church—ready for sleep. The only sounds I can hear are the faint rumblings of the generator in harmony with the hum of grasshoppers (who are, by the way, the size of Volkswagen vans).

Headlamps go off, sleeping bags zip and rustle, and breathing slows to a comfortable rhythm.

Suddenly, I hear the high-pitched wail of a small child. I’m up and out of my sleeping bag in a flash and fumble with the zipper of the tent before pushing through the doors of the church and breaking free to the outside.

Mosquitoes are the last thing on my mind as I run in the direction of the fearful cries. Up the hill past the guest house I go, muscles alert with adrenaline. I see something flash past me, but with the few lights still shining, I can only tell that it is something big, something fast. As it courses under a lamppost, I see that it is a tiger that has captured one of the wee ones from the orphanage, and he’s moving fast!

I run as fast as I can back down the hill and come upon a stray boda-boda. I hop on and start the engine, then zip after the creature and its captive child. The tiger senses that he is being followed and leads me on a wild chase down through the quarry and into a clearing surrounded by African bushes.

I hop off the boda and as we circle each other, the child slips off and runs to safety as I yell at him in Lugandan to head up the hill. It’s just me and the tiger now and I look desperately for some sort of defensive weapon.

I spot a jackfruit tree near the edge of the clearing and slowly back up to where it stands rooted. I carefully reach behind and pluck a fruit, maintaining eye contact with the beast as he moves closer. I glance and see that there is a steep hill beyond the tree and that I can’t move backwards anymore. The tiger lunges forward and I heave the jackfruit with all my might, hitting him square between the eyes. He collapses unconscious, but I’m teetering and can’t regain my balance. Backwards I fall, tumbling down the hill, through the bushes and bumps, finally landing somewhere near the bottom.


And that, friends, is how I broke my leg.

Just kidding. I fell down a hill yesterday just before dinner, and that’s how it all went down. (By which I mean it was me. Who went down, that is.) Rebekah put it in a splint and Michael drove up to lend Jeff the Masembe van. We took a trip into Kampala (about 1.5 hours away) and visited two international hospitals for x-rays and casting. Cost of an x-ray, in cash: about 8 bucks Canadian. It’s broken in one, possibly two places, but it’s not compound, and it should be fine and dandy in 6-8 weeks. I’m thanking God that I didn’t have to evacuate to Canada for surgery.

Mom and Dad, I’m doing alright. It hurts, but it’s hard not to feel joyful when you’re in a place like this surrounded by such amazing people—both the team and our friends that we’ve made on the ten acres and in the community. Maybe they’ll bump me up to first class for the flights home. Hmmm…

I’ve been designated as the blogger today, since I can’t do much else, so I’ve been sitting here creating fanciful and heroic stories (see above).

The team is doing really well. Other than the leg-breaking fiasco, everyone else is in decent health and high spirits. Yesterday was our second rotation of projects in the area (hanging out at the orphanage, care and compassion, kiddie care, and work around the 10 acres). Almost everything takes longer in Uganda. Painting a house, washing clothes, cooking dinner. It’s humbling to wear those shoes, even if it’s just for a few weeks. We’ve met people who are experiencing a great deal of pain in their lives, and yet, their resilience is inspiring. I probably shouldn’t speak for the whole team, but I’ll bet I can, when I say that every day we are learning so much from these beautiful people. The kids’ smiles, the warm hearts… it’s been amazing.

Sean’s been doing a great job updating, so I’ll just add a few pictures for now.


One of the kids teaching Linda some new tricks for Cat’s Cradle out on the porch of the church.


This is Liz. She loves posing for pictures and lives at first children’s home.


Down at Kiddie Care during bubble-blowing madness.


This woman is caring for her 20 grandchildren. I can’t think of any other word to describe her other than “hero”.


Shannon with Gift, Harriet’s little boy.


Proof of my lion encounter.




Take care everybody!

- Sara (woot.)

To Michelle, Samuel, Lucas + Mirah. Missing you lots! I am having an amazing time here. I can’t wait to see you all and tell you all the stories. Love Cameron (Papa). PS. Will try to send an email with it’s possible. Keep praying!

Hey Dad, Mom, brothers, friends, and family. Love you all and I don’t miss Canada. Please send over my mattress, books, and some pictures. I’ve made arrangements to say for two more months. Just kidding. Thanks for the letter, Dad and Mom. I cried. Lots of love, Ash

Hey there everyone, safe and sound in Uganda. Sorry mom and dad for the lack of communication. Blog updates to come Friday. Grace, Peace, and Blessings, Brent

Hey Mom and Dad, just wanted to let you know we’re all doing fine here. I’m doing ok considering how much the mosquitoes love me and of course the run in with the wasp, but nothing is broken so comparatively I’m fine! Hope everything is going well with the sale of the house. Oh hey Mike, sell my bike yet? Love you all, Sean

Hey folks, just wanted to write a quick note to say I’m doing great. No sickness or long toilet trips… yet. The kids are awesome. Hope you’re not worrying too much. See ya soon, Matt

Sally and John – I found some cats that make Bort look like a fatty. Took pics for proof. Trev – woot to you too. Loving it here, Sara

1 Responses to “Broken bones and high spirits”

  1. # Blogger B + J

    i think i would have believed "lion".
    alas, still a grand tale.  

Post a Comment


Web This Blog

The Uganda Team of 2007...

  • Jon Imbeau - Fearless Leader
  • Scott Dickie - Fearless Leader
  • Jamie Adrian
  • Cam Biffart
  • Linda Bruins
  • Sean Davis
  • Jeff Dyck - (Since March)
  • Shannon Dyck - (Since March)
  • Jessica Hart
  • Carling Hind
  • Pat Kenyon
  • Matt MacDonald
  • Sara MacDonald
  • Gayle McRae
  • Ashley Lehbauer
  • Rebekah Lowes
  • Lavonne Neville
  • Nigel Scott
  • Shawn Smith
  • Brent White - (Since early June)

Chat & Messages





© 2006 PPAC - From White Rock to Uganda | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health